buy on amazon read an excerpt

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My book DOES have a market

You know, when I sent my book through the traditional avenues - trying to get an agent, a publisher, etc. - I had a few people tell me that it was a good romantic comedy book, but that they just couldn't sell it, that there wasn't a market.

Clearly, they just weren't trying hard enough. Because here's a prime example of why my book DOES have a market.

I don't know how many of you read the Washington Post, but Carolyn Hax is the advice columnist there. This is a link to an actual letter that she received.

Here's an excerpt:

Dear Carolyn:

Before I met my boyfriend, I had a long list of things I wanted in a husband. Now I'm in love with a sweet guy who loves me very much, but who doesn't have some of the important things on my "list." If I leave him, I could regret it forever, but if I don't, I could miss out on someone who does complete my list. What should I do?

To Be or Not to Be!

I invite you to click on the link to read Carolyn's response, but the more I talk to folks about The List, the more universal the theme becomes.

I found my own list last night, tucked into my Bible. While it was nowhere near the complexity of my character, Candace's list, (plus, I'd paired it down a bit) I think that every woman has a list.

So today and tomorrow, I'd love to hear what was on your list. Or your wife's list. Or your girlfriend's list. Tell me your story.


1 comment:

  1. Let's see: Good sense of humor (smart assedness without being cruel), Intelligence (without being patronizing or too boring), good looks (being honest here--while this may have been something I could overlook, I didn't have to. My husband is quite handsome).

    Now here are some little things that irritated me, while I was on the dating scene. Not necessarily something I put on a list, but definitely something that made me decline any further invitations. I'll be the first to admit that several of these were extremely shallow, but I bet a lot of you used similar "culling techniques" Cut off jean shorts (or jean shorts of any kind really), hair that was prettier than mine/used too much product and spent too much time preening, way shorter than me, yelled at waitresses (and tipped badly--duh, I waited tables during college), dumb as a rock (and not willing to change that), excessive drinker/drunk (hey it was fun to hang out with you, but not when you pass out on a table), jealousy (I have/had a lot of guy friends), and hair dyed an unnatural color.
    I had some interesting dates, and I was in 2 long term relationships before meeting my husband. Every stupid thing, every broken heart, every tear, laugh, etc.. was worth it. It made me who I am today, and brought me into the best relationship of my life.

    ReplyDelete

Have you bought your copy of "The List" yet? Will you buy one if I beg? Pleeeeeeeze?